Tuesday 8 January 2008

Reaching

Speaking of Die Hard; Bad Luck and Trouble / Lee Child is like Die Hard in print (yes, I know that Die Hard is based on an actual book Nothing Lasts Forever / Roderick Throp but that is not the point!)

Reacher is one of my favourite fictional characters, an ex-US Army MP going through the remainder of his life without permanent address or employ. Plus, like all good action heroes, he is constantly encountering bad guys and trouble - otherwise I guess, there wouldn't be the books.

In Bad Luck and Trouble Reacher is sought by an old friend using a military code for trouble, via a bank deposit. Given my love of logic and mathematics, this idea appeals to me. The trouble in question relates to other old friends, and Reacher meets up with his former colleague to set things right, and avenge the wrong that has been done. Not awesome enough for you? There is a an obligatory shoot-out, and some death by being dropped out of a helicopter in there as well.

There is something so very likable about Reacher, you want him to win, you're rooting for him to do well. If I were in some sort of pickle, I would want him on my side. These books are not difficult to read, have an intriguing story and best of all, are perfect escapism for when you're procrastinating. There is high action, some quality suspense, and best of all the good guys win.

1 comment:

GG said...

A colleague has recommended the Mitch Rapp books by Vince Flynn if you're into books like Die Hard movies... I'm going to read one and review it here soon.